It all started about 6 months ago when I saw an absolutely stunning applique signature quilt from the 20’s 30’s on eBay. I fell instantly in love with this quilt and tried to buy it but the price was waaaay out of my range! What I did get was a picture of the quilt and the crazy idea to make an adaptation of it from the picture. Oh my! What a challenge that was. The picture was poor quality and low resolution and many of the blocks were difficult or impossible to see in the photo.
I started researching 30’s signature quilts and amassed a wealth of information on the type of blocks, fabrics, and even the signatures used in these old quilts. I was able to recreate many of the blocks from this old quilt and fill in with additional blocks from the 1920-30’s. It was a fun project and one I just couldn’t let go of until I had the whole thing drawn. So finally, here are all 42 blocks of the 2012 Block of the Month: Vintage Floral Sampler!
I will be making one of my models using Moda Bella Solids and the other using batiks. I have several wonderful pattern testers who are busy making up blocks in other fabrics and color ways and their work is just wonderful. Wait till you see their samples!!
My newsletter subscribers will get a special bonus: For each block I have designd a “crossing block” – four motifs arranged in a crossing or “X” style in a 12” block size. I have also done a 16” wreath block featuring a variation of each block using 6 repeats of the basic motif. These are really stunning and would be a great project for intermediate and advanced quilters. These special block patterns will be available free ONLY to my newsletter subscribers. Others may purchase these block patterns from my website.
- I will release two blocks each month – one on the first of the month and the second on the 15th of the month.
- Each pattern will be available for free for 30 days only. Once removed, blocks will be available for purchase on my website.
- They may be downloaded and printed for personal or charitable use only. You may not print and share them with others, but you are free to direct others to my blog or website (www.morningglorydesigns.net) where they will be able to download a copy for themselves.
- These patterns are copyrighted and may not be sold or used for commercial purposes of any kind without the specific written consent of Reeze Hanson.
- Patterns will only be available as downloadable PDF files and requests to receive patterns by email will not be honored. You will need to download a current version of Adobe Reader (available for free) to open and use these files.
- I encourage you to share the link to this BOM and post a picture on your blog, website, or Facebook page. Here is the picture and link: (copy and paste the picture and link as a gadget on your blog)
so I will do a Give-Away!
- Leave a comment on this post and you are entered to win a Free Pattern of your Choice!!
- Leave a comment stating that you have placed a link on your blog or website (include URL) and you will be entered to win a Free Fat Quarter Pack!!